– Provide an independent resource of expertise in science, engineering, and medicine to Virginia.
– Envision future trends and provide leadership in catalyzing emerging opportunities.
– Promote investments in job growth, research, and solutions to challenges in science, engineering, and technology.
– Support emerging leaders in science, engineering, and medicine toward their election in the national academies.
– Foster new collaborations between businesses and Virginia universities and colleges.
– Grow Virginia’s competitiveness for new business investments, federal funding, and job growth.
The criteria for membership in the corporation shall be: (1) membership in one or more of the U.S. National Academy of Sciences, U.S. National Academy of Engineering, or the U.S. Academy of Medicine; and (2) residence or employment in the Commonwealth of Virginia. Members may also be individuals who are not in one of the National Academies but are considered to have an outstanding record of scientific accomplishments, national and international recognition, and willingness to participate in the activities of the Corporation.