A candidate for admission to the Virginia Academy of Sciences, Engineering and Medicine (VASEM) must have accomplished significant recognized personal contributions to science, engineering or medicine, as well as exhibit the highest level of professional integrity.
Any current member of VASEM may nominate a candidate that either resides or works in Virginia by submitting a fully completed nomination form. This submission must be sponsored by two other members of VASEM. Each sponsoring member must write a letter of support.
It is recommended that the nominator share the completed nomination form with the sponsors. However, in order to ensure the independence of the sponsors, their letters must not be shared with the nominator and must be submitted directly by the supporter to the VASEM staff, i.e., not through the nominator. Sponsors will be asked to describe their relationship with the nominee, provide specifics regarding the nominee’s contributions, and state their level of support (e.g. “support”, “strongly support” or “very strongly support”).
In order to allow full and fair evaluation of the qualifications of each candidate without embarrassment or other adverse effects on candidates, nominators, sponsors or those participating in the election process, all written and oral discussions, comments, evaluations and votes constituting this process are to be held in strict confidentiality. All VASEM members must limit discussions and correspondence relating to a nominee to VASEM members and authorized staff only. The gathering of general information concerning a candidate’s achievements, personal and professional attributes and career background must be made in such a way as not to convey that the candidate is being considered for membership in VASEM. Anyone who learns that a potential nominee is personally involved in the process or has been campaigning for somebody to nominate him/her shall promptly inform the President of the Academy.
I. June 1st
a. Announce 2018 election cycle
b. Distribute nomination forms to VASEM members and member institutions
i. Forms include membership criteria, instructions, and time line
ii. Nomination form:
– Section 1: Personal Information:
- Name of Candidate
- Candidate’s current organizational affiliation (if retired, enter last affiliation)
- Virginia qualifying status: R (Residence) W (Workplace; if both, state R&W)
- Qualifying address (Residence or Work, as appropriate)
- Education summary (Degree, Institution, Year)
- Work sector during accomplishment(s) justifying nomination: Academia, Industry or Other (“Other” includes government, FFRDCs, health facilities, research institutions, nonprofit and similar organizations; if more than one apply, use most recent one)
– Section 2: Justification for Nomination
- Proposed Election Citation (30 words maximum)
2.2 Statement of Accomplishments Meriting Nomination (250 words maximum)
– Section 3: Nomination Information
- Name of nominating member
- Name of First Sponsoring Member
- Name of Second Sponsoring Member
Pages 2 and 3: Candidate Curriculum Vitae
This should also include all and any supporting information deemed important by the nominator such as: Publications and Patents, Honors and Awards, Residences and Fellowships, Society Memberships – including grade of membership – Professional Recognitions, etc.