Speaker-elect Kirk Cox and Delegate Richard Anderson held a press conference on September 18th to announce the General Assembly’s response to the VASEM study: Aerospace in Virginia, An Opportunity for Economic Growth. As the Chairman of the Joint Commission on Technology and Science, Delegate Anderson suggested that VASEM recommendations to grow the aerospace industry in Virginia should be considered in the economic development strategy going forward.
Here are the key findings:
(1) Pursue initiatives to grow Virginia’s commercial space enterprise and operation of unmanned aerial systems as key economic development initiatives
(2) Create a high-level aerospace economic development position in Virginia state government
(3) Attract new aerospace investments to Virginia
(4) Market current aerospace assets in Virginia’s government, commercial, and academic sectors
(5) Coordinate elements in Virginia’s aviation and space sectors to grow and diversify the economy
(6) Search for new opportunities in the financially-constrained federal sector for investment in the Commonwealth